Sunday, January 8, 2012

Listening

It is so easy to believe that life is about making ourselves happy. Most people who are selling us stuff are tugging on our self-pity, or our desire to look good to everyone else. They know that we are usually focused on ourselves. So, when you finally find people who remind you that the world is much bigger than you are, you should listen to them.

That's what I heard when I listened to Tim and Wendy.

Daddy and I met Tim and Wendy at our church. They were really friendly and kind. We were excited to talk with them since we didn't know any foster-parents back then. They told us about a podcast they had made about being foster-parents (www.fosterpodcast.com). So as soon as we got home that day I started listening to their podcasts. Before long I was walking around the house humming their little program jingle. I listened to podcasts while I worked on my computer. I listened when I took walks. I listened while I did the dishes. I listened and listened. Pretty soon Daddy started listening too.

Tim and Wendy shared the hard stuff in their lives, as well as the good stuff. Sometimes they were really silly. Sometimes they were serious. Most of the time I would get teary when I listened. But every time I would hear something that sunk deep into my heart. Pretty soon there was a big pool of challenging stuff welling up in me, and I knew I needed to do something about it.

But, while I was listening, I was still kinda sad that I didn't have a baby growing in my tummy. I still had to figure out what to do with that sadness before I could go searching for you.

2 comments:

  1. Jenny, I just love this blog! I caught up today, and want to encourage you to keep on writing. You are so sincere and sweet, and Junebug is just going to love reading all of this one day! Thanks for documenting this for us all to share in!
    -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Tammy! That truly means a lot and I take your encouragement to heart!

    ReplyDelete